Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Books and Bikes: A Note on Reading and Riding

The summer continues to be profoundly rewarding, and I'm more grateful than I can express for this time to read, relax and renew relationships. Suzanne and I enjoyed a trip to Atlanta for a book-signing party with friends from Eastminster Presbyterian (the congregation I served directly out of seminary) and an informal reunion with many leaders of that congregation. As it happened, the party was exactly 27 years to the day from my first day of work serving that congregation. I'm thankful for this gracious group of folks with whom I began my career.

Since then, my days have been spent largely with my nose in books and my feet on pedals -- though not often simultaneously.

First, the books. As promised, I continue to expand my horizons with reading material outside my typical purview. In an earlier correspondence I mentioned Jennifer Harvey's book "Dear White Christians," a book whose very premise I find troubling. So troubling, that until the Charleston massacre it would have been a non-starter. Yet, I remain convinced the default perspectives of the majority have contributed to the untenable racial reality in our country, and I think it honors God to to reconsider prior assumptions that helped get us here. Besides, I can't figure out how conducting a moral inventory of my assumptions could hurt and I'm thankful for the space to do so.

In similar fashion, I've been captivated by "Redeployment," an award winning work by Phil Klay about our country's military engagement in Iraq. Told from the perspective of various soldiers, this work offers remarkable -- and often painful -- insight into the experience of those who worked the front line. As one without military service, I again found it helpful to listen to voices outside my normal understanding and let them press me into reconsidering my assumptions. I can't say the book is pleasant (except for one hilarious chapter) but I do think it's important, especially for those of us who have never served in the armed forces.

Finally, I've spent a lot of time reading "American Grace: How Religion Divides and Unites Us," a 700-page tome by Harvard sociologists Robert Putnam and David Campbell, which explores religious trends in American culture and projects future developments. The most interesting part of this read is that the book was first published ten years ago, and the few predictions Putnam and Campbell made turned out to be remarkably accurate. It makes me want to read one of their current books and lay bets on the future! It also suggests that ministers, elders and church leaders can pay attention to secular sources and use their insights to enhance the mission of the church in today's complex world.

Now for the pedals. It's fun to be in stronger physical condition than I've enjoyed for a number of years. In just the last two weeks I've taken time to explore DuPont State Forest and discover its many treasures. In addition, I've ridden the Blue Ridge Parkway, first to Blowing Rock and then, on another day, to Asheville.  When not on pedals, I've laced up the boots for a few hikes in the North Harper Creek Basin, up Grandfather Mountain, and on the Yellow Mountain bald. Usually I've had company and the friendship time has made each endeavor infinitely richer. One particular highlight was trekking over to Montreat to see our high school students and to bid a heartfelt farewell to Neeley Lane as she embarks on the next phase of her good life. Neely served well here and she goes with our every blessing.
 
I also want to extend my heartfelt gratitude to Petra Wahnefried as she concludes her two-year Pastoral Residency with us. It's a brave move to be the the first person in a program, and I'm grateful that Petra risked coming to be with us. Nobody knows the hours she spent solving problems in the middle of the night with Room in the Inn guests, neighbors walking into the office looking for help and developing closer relationships with our local mission partners. Please join me by sending her off with our highest gratitude.
 
This week I'll head to the Dolomites, Assisi, and Rome, and then return for a little time with immediate and extended family. While I'm enjoying my time, I'm also beginning to anticipate a glad return to Charlotte where I very much look forward to being with you again.

Be well, and know that you remain in my daily prayers.






No comments:

Post a Comment