Saturday, June 21, 2014

The Local Option

"Do you have five minutes to explain something to me?" asked a familiar voice on the other end of the line.

"Sure," I replied. "What's on your mind?"

"Somebody wants me to explain this Presbyterian decision on marriage ceremonies … allowing ministers to do same-sex weddings … and whether we're going to do them in our church. Tell me what I need to know about that."

It was a fair question, some would say an important question, but it was not an easy question, especially since for years the answer has been an unequivocal "No, we cannot and will not have same-gender wedding ceremonies in our church."

I explained that for those of us in North Carolina the answer is the same now as it has always been: We cannot perform same-gender marriages in our church. Period. End of discussion.

"But, I thought the New York Times reported that you could? Which is it? Can you perform same-gender wedding ceremonies or not?"

"Do you mind my asking if you're a Republican or Democrat?"

"Yes, I do mind," he said. "Why does it matter?"

"Because the best way to explain this is in terms of states rights. Up to this point,  local congregation have enjoyed no 'states rights" on this issue. All congregations, ministers, and elders in all states, no matter their personal preferences or convictions, had to follow national law. Beginning today, however, some local rights are available. In other words, if you're Republican, you'll probably like this change, favorable as Republicans are toward states rights."

"Explain this a bit more, please."

"OK. In states where same-gender marriage is legal, the local minister is now allowed to conduct a same-gender wedding with the approval of the local Session."

"But I thought the Session already had to approve every marriage ceremony," he said.

"They do."

"So the only thing different is that now the Session can approve conducting a same-gender wedding?"

"That's right," I said, "but not in North Carolina. It has to be legal in the state. So, our Session cannot approve them."

Then he got to the point: "What do you think about all this?

I said, "It boils down to this: I trust our elders. In 25 years of ministry, I've seen elders make wise, spirit-led decisions time after time. I think they should have the autonomy needed to make faithful decisions according the Spirit's leading, but I'm a 'states rights' kind of guy. I don't need -- or want -- a cumbersome national bureaucracy to tell me the right thing to do in my local context. Does that help?"


"Some." he said," But I may need more than five minutes next time." 

No comments:

Post a Comment